I replied "I don't think so I've been asleep though." For those of you who don't know my sleeping powers I will explain I can sleep through anything apparently even labor!
Well we didn't have to wait long to see if we were having contractions because all of sudden I started to notice them. At first they were coming every 8 minutes then we'd get them every 6 then every once in awhile we'd get one at 4 minutes. After an hour of counting them we called the midwife back and we decided we would wait until 9 when the office was open and they would check me. I was really surprised at the strength of the contractions. I had thought that I could do the whole natural thing but after an hour of pain and know that things were only going to get more intense before they got better I was excited to get in and get an epidural.
Well we get to the office and Rich and I are excited but we are thinking ok we might be at 2cm and they will just send us home so lets not get our hopes too high. Well she checks me, which by the way feels like she is trying to feel my tonsils through my vagina, and it turns out I'm 7cm!!!
We then take a walk over to the hospital and get admitted. As soon as possible I get an epidural. GOD BLESS EPIDURALS!
We continue to labor, in pain yeah, and about 4:30pm I'm dilated to a 10 and we are ready to push. So we start pushing. They try everything with me, pushing on my back pulling my legs back, pushing on my side pulling my one leg up, pulling on a blanket while I push. Nothing is working. About 2 hours into baby is very uncomfortabley far into my pelvis and I'm getting way to tired to do anything. The pain is unrelenting as my epidural starts to wear off. Lame. It wore off to the point that I could feel it when they catheterized me, not fun. They gave me a bolus to get through the rest of it and called in the doctor with the jaws of life (forceps). The doc gets a good hold on baby and with on big push and pull baby is born! The relief I feel is great.
They place him on my tummy and there you have it, I'm a mom. I think because of the craziness at the end of the delievery everyone forgot that we didn't know what we were having. Rich was the one who had to look and then told me we had a baby boy! It was the most amazing experience of my life. I was so grateful for Rich who was there every step of the way, he was the best birth coach ever I would not have made it without his support for sure.
So here HE is Dexter Gray Rasmussen 6lbs 10z, 20inches long born on the 29th of Dec.
And yes he is cutest baby in the world.
3 comments:
Love the picture of Rich and Dexter. seriously awesome.
You are AMAZING!! And yes, HE is the CUTEST baby in the world. Until of course baby Beardall arrives. :) We will have to hook them up. 35 weeks and counting. Congrats a million times!
Congrats on your super tiny, super adorable baby!!
I especially enjoyed the tonsil comment ;-)
Post a Comment