Wednesday, January 14, 2009

NCLEX

The panic, worry and studying for hours on end is finally over, I took the NCLEX this morning! I've never known such glorious relief, actually when Dex was finally born might match this. I can't believe I took it so fast but its going to work out perfectly for our plans with SLC. I had to take the test in Casper, WY because every other testing site was book until Febuary. My test was scheduled for 8am but they tell you to get there at 7:30 to check in. I thought this would be a simple process where I show my ID and walk in. WRONG!
So I get there and they make me show my ID then I have to sign an electronic signature pad. Next I get my fingerprint scanned and have my picture taken. Then they tell me to put everything in a locker that I can lock but I have to keep my ID out. Then I get to sit and wait. Finally they call me back and I have to go back to station in front of glass windows that see every computer in this testing room. Again they ask me for my ID and scan my fingerprint again. They then have me turn out my pockets and pat myself down to prove that I'm not taking anything into the testing center that I could cheat off of. Finally the proctor hands me my dry erase board and walks me into the computer testing area. She sets me up at the computer and away I go.
After gathering my thoughts for bit, because I feel like I've just been interrogated for a crime I didn't commit, I start the test. I was shocked and surprised at just how much I thought I knew which gave me confidence but then which scared me because what I thought I knew and what was actually right would be two very different things.
The crazy thing about the NCLEX is that you don't know how many questions are you are going to get. It's a computer adaptive test so if you get a question right you get a harder question next time, if you get a question wrong then you get an easier question. Also if you you are doing really good or really bad they will only give you 75 questions. If you're borderline you could get up to 265 questions. So you go in not knowing how or even when you are going to come out.
As I'm nearing question 75 I'm getting nervous, what if the test keeps going? What if it shuts off? All these different thoughts are running through my head. As I finish question 75 and hit the next button the screen goes blank and starts to load something.
My first thought is, "oh great I broke the dang thing and I'm going to have to start over." Then this blessed message appears, "You have completed the NCLEX" I about pee my pants with excitement(that comes with having a kid) and stand up to leave. Not what I was suppose to do. The proctor waves me back down to a sitting position and then comes over to me and leads me out of the room where I have my fingerprint scanned again and my personal belongings returned to me.
Then I realize it's over. I'm surprised too because it only took me an hour to take the test. So after 24 hours I pay 10 bucks and get my unofficial results and I find out I've passed! Yeah for me. Now in about 2 weeks I'll get my license and then I'll be able to work as a nurse! I'm still in shock that its all over and that if I wanted to I would never have to study again. That is best feeling in the world.

No comments: