Wednesday, March 10, 2010

CPR

Last Saturday Rich and I went skiing at Solitude. We went telemarking, something we haven't done in years. Literally years. So we go up and we are so out of shape that we are only able to get three runs in. Yeah I know pathetic but lunging down a ski hill is harder than it sounds. Anyway we had a lot of fun. As we are turning onto Wasatch we look to the side of the road and there is a person doing what looks like CPR. We pull over and sure enough they are doing chest compressions on a guy who apparently is having a heart attack! It was crazy. So I step in and start doing the compressions while Rich grabs the wife's phone and gets on line with the EMS so they know exactly where to go which is a good thing because they were heading up the canyon. So I keep doing compressions and lucky for this guy an ER doc and a resident showed up, they too where just driving by. We continue working on him and the paramedics arrive and took over. They put the defibrillator on him and shocked him and kept doing CPR then put him in the ambulance and drove away. We don't know if the guy lived or died. Totally crazy, its the first time that's happened to me outside the hospital and the first time Rich had ever seen anything like that. Needless to say we were a little shook up but quite an interesting end to a day.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Wow! So crazy!!! I know it goes without saying given your profession, but it is so cool to know someone that can save a life! Wow!!!