First I went outside and cut the heads off the sunflowers. This felt weird because the stalk was so thick I actually felt like I was cutting an actual head off something. So I off all the heads. Look at the size of these babies!
Next I had to get all the seeds out of the head. Which sounds simple enough until you try to do it. Those little seeds are stuck in there. So you have to push and pull and rip and tear, its almost a workout. While I'm doing this I begin the realize that there are more than just seeds in these sunflower heads, apparently a lot of other bugs decided to take up home there. So while I'm rip and tearing seeds I'm also battling earwigs and spiders and unidentifiable little beasties that are upset because I'm ruining their home.
This process takes about an hour. Finally I have the seeds now I have sort through them and pick out all the parts that aren't seeds all the while avoiding the icky bugs, gross.
So another half hour rolls by and we are ready for take off. Now we soak the seeds in lovely dill pickle mixture for about 8 hours then bake.
All in all it was an interesting experience but way too much work for something that is so cheap. Will I do it again probably not but I'm glad that I did once.
2 comments:
wow... both on the size of the sunflowers and the effort involved in getting them nice and tasty.
I would have given up at the first earwig. You're a hero!
Post a Comment