Monday, August 18, 2008

Midwife

Our insurance changed so our doctor had to as well and now we get to have a midwife for the deliver of little baby Ras. I am really excited about the whole experience because during my OB clinical I was able to see a deliever performed by a midwife and delievery performed by a doctor.
The Differenc:
The midwife was there the whole time the patient was laboring, she was the one who was going in performing the checks and just being there for the patient. WHen it came time to push she was there in the room helping mom push the whole time just being patient and allowing nature to take it's course. This was mom's first baby and she deliever just fine no tearing or anything.
Now in the doctor's room the nurse was the one who was with mom helping her push and getting her just to point where the baby was crowning, then it was wait for the doctor to come in. The doctor came in waited for her to push, wasn't satisfied that it was happening quick enough so proceeded to use forceps to pull the babe out and mom ended up tearing and needing stiches. This was mom's third kid.
I had my first appointment with my midwife today and I am very excited about working with her. She is very personable and just laid back. Plus she wants to see me every month, with Kaiser I hadn't seen anyone let alone a doctor in 6 weeks!
I will be delievering in a hospital so if anything does go wrong there will be doctors and emergency staff available. It's crazy to think that delievery time is only 3 months away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I'd be interested to check out a midwife sometime. So does this mean you'll be staying in CO til the baby comes? I though you were coming to UT as soon as you graduated?